Monday, May 26, 2014

On our way to Deutsch class (SP)

Family!

I reflected a little bit today about how grateful I am for the embers of the memories I've collected as I've grown on a mission under the leadership of President and Sister Mile's leadership.  I know it's the work of the Lord!

Miracle story!  So, the other day, Sister Brinck and I were on our way to our Deutsch class that we teach at our church building.  We were coming up to a crosswalk and our talking caused a young man on a bike to look behind at us.  We promptly greeted him and said hello and asked how he was doing.  We kept talking, walked the street and then stopped to continue the conversation.  He, Jasbir, told us about himself as we asked.  He was very open and told us some of his history.  He then suddenly told us about his ex girlfriend that he'd had his daughter with a couple years ago.  As he explained the story, pain was eminate from his body language and he began to weep.  Our hearts were softened as listened.  There was so much heartache built up from what was thought to be true love, a building family and then one day was shattered.  I prayed earnestly to know what to say that would give this anguished man some comfort.  Nothing came.  I tried to bear my testimony about the atonement, SOMEthing, but it didn't come out right.  Amidst my silent prayers, a comforting thought came, ''If you were supposed to know what to say, you'd know it already.''  I became still and we listened and comforted him.  As this was happening, ANOTHER young man came up and waited until we could turn and talk to him.  When a pause came, I turned to him and he asked if we were Christians.  I continued THAT conversation and answering who we were etc, as Sister Brinck continued to talk with the firt man.  I offered that we all walk to our church and see where we meet to be enlightened by the Lord.  They agreed and we walked there together.  Two-timing it, Sister Brinck and I each with one of the young men kept walking and talking.  We reached the church and the Indian man had to go, but gave us his information said he'd love to come to church.  The second young man came with us up to our little Branch church building.  Not knowing beforehand, whether anyone was even there, we decided to check because the door was left open.  Brother and Sister Windhausen from the ward were there cleaning!  Another miracle!  Immidiately we introduced Giuseppe to them and Brother Windhausen took him on a tour of the building.  We taught him a zero lesson right there and he gladly took a Book of Mormon.  We met with Giuseppe the next day and helped him read and understand the Book of Mormon.  The next day at church, Jasbir came!  He loved it and members greeted him.  Guiseppe surprisingly never came and so we called him that night.  I was greeted with short interrogating questions as his mother explained in a matter of words that she didn't want us associating with her son any more.  But!  The miracle continues because Giuseppe has actually TWO Books of Mormon (got one earlier other missionaries!) and already believes it's true.  The Lord knows he can handle it.  Jasbir already wants to share the message with other people!

What this comes down to is this: strengthening members and then using THEM as the primary way to find is the Lord's way.  We stopped everything and did just that and BOOM miracles like crazy.  The Lord had members at every corner ready to help us and come be joint teaches.  The Lord made it happen!  Every ward/branch/stake/even family has it's own needs.  But I know that unless we can build good relationships, like building a house, we won't be able to take someone to that house to learn the gospel!  (I hope that analogy made sense...:))
I also know that living righteously is the happiest way to live.  Short term, it may not seem like it.  But long term absolutely.  It's caused me to reflect on myself.  Am I an indulger?  Or do I have enough character and patience to really wait for those things that bring me greater joy?  Do I enjoy every moment where I'm at, or do I find myself waiting for the next thing impatiently trusting that only when it comes will I be satisfied.  The Lord's way is better than that.  WE'RE better than that.  We're creatures built and designed to last, not to indulge in only the instant.

''And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.''  (Mosiah 2:41)

I leave my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

With Love and Faith,
Sister Packer


​Pictures
Sister Brinck and I
Brother and Sister Windhausen (amazing missionary members!!)​



No comments:

Post a Comment