Monday, October 20, 2014

Knowledge feeds Charity and Charity feeds Knowledge (SP)

Hello Family and Friends,

We're teaching Natalie and she's getting baptized this Saturday!  I'm so excited!  She's so so so ready.  She's the elect.  They really are out there.  We're working with Sebastian still​ and he's making progress.  This ward is AMAZING.  They are so excited for missionary work and they say hello to any visitors we have.  New people have moved in, and they strengthen each other.  It feels so good to be here.  For whatever reason I'm meant to come back here, the Lord will reveal it!

For the month of October, I started out by studying Patience as my Christlike attribute.  A few days into the month however, I felt that I should study something different.  Knowledge and Charity came to mind (Knowledge being probably my favorite attribute next to Obedience).  I was feeling a drag in my studies, in motivation (yes it happens even on a mission) and prayed to Father in Heaven for His help to find the spark again.  I realized I needed to find out again who I was.  Yes I know I'm a member to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I believe in Christ, I'm a missionary, I'm a daughter...etc.  I began by finding out things I like.  I like the color fuscia.  LOVE it.  I also love wearing my hair down.  I like eating healthy because 1. I feel better 2. I'm more receptive to the Spirit (the latter being of course most important). :).  I wrote down all the things I like to wear, what my style is.  I wrote down the foods I like, the sports I like.  I felt like I was getting closer.  Then we had Zone Conference.  

Presdient Kohler is an amazing man.  He has a vision and energy and drive about the work that is astounding.  He taught us about ''noble birthright'' and the ''gathering of Israel.''  He talked about Spiritually, who we are, what our role is, the blessings we receive.  Did you know we, who are members of the church receive a ''double portion'' of the blessings?  Double portions meaning both spiritually and temporally.  This double portion comes from the tradition in the family, paticularly the family of Jacob.  Every son recieved a piece of his inheritance, but the first born son received what's called a double portion.  He had the reponsibility to take care of his mother and sisters and the household with his double portion.  I don't know so much about this (I get to study up on it more), but it got me thinking.  I want and get to be more grateful.  Sister Packer did you know that people die every day from hunger?  You've never a DAY in your life gone without enough food.  Not one.  We are SO blessed as the people of Christ.  We have enough to eat, to drink, we have freedom, (for me, I speak fluent English one of the worldwide used languages and now German), I'm serving the Lord, I can go to a university, my family has the gospel, I can read THE BOOK OF MORMON.  I actually KNOW about that book and READ it with a hunger and thirst every day.  I LOVE THAT BOOK.

The Lord taught me about charity.  I realized for a few days that something was really missing.  Really really missing.  I couldn't put my finger on it.  And then I remembered about serving constantly.  I made some goals and started.  I found the reality of the scripture found in Matthew 10:39

''He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.''

I really felt that this week.  And then I read in Alma 32:35-36.

''O then, is not this real?''

That scripture struck me.  Yes it's real.  It is real when we think about others and really concentrate on them and their needs.  It sounds super cliché coming out.  But it's just real!  And it's so cool!

''O then, is not this real? I say unto you, Yea, because it is light; and whatsoever is light, is good, because it is discernible [meaning you gain understanding and it makes you happy!], therefore ye must know that it is good; and now behold, after ye have tasted this light is your knowledge perfect?

''Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither must ye lay aside your faith, for ye have only exercised your faithto plant the seed that ye might try the experiment to know if the seed was good.''

I testify that it IS good: knowledge and chartiy.  Christ is our perfect example and our Savior.  Oh how sweet the surrender when we go to him and ask for forgiveness.  I pray we may all do just that and taste of the joy, daily.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


Sister Packer
München 3rd ward
Alpine German-speaking Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment